MDE21301 - Brendon Barton Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Now a farmhouse. Early to mid 17th Century, possibly a remodelling of an earlier house.There is late 19th Century cross wing to the South-West and the lean-to additions are also probably 19th century in date. The building is mainly pebble-dashed coursed rubble stone. Stone fireplace dating to around 1900 in hall, brought in from Coombe House, Porlock in mid to late 20th Century, but retaining late late 19th Century overmantel with key and scrolled brackets.  The farmhouse was visited in January 1997. It was described as 'obviously medieval and interesting', unrestored and facing across a narrow garden onto the yard.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Brendon (24 November 1988) 1.
- <2> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 118.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7477 4729 (25m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4): 1549/3/1
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37710
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/199
Record last edited
Feb 23 2021 2:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.