Listed Building: BRENDON BARTON (1289341)

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1549, 3, 1
Date assigned 24 November 1988
Date last amended
Date revoked
BRENDON SS 74 NW 3/1 Brendon Barton - II Barton, now farmhouse. Early to mid C17, possibly a remodelling of an earlier house. Late C19 cross wing to south-west. Lean-to additions also probably C19. Mainly pebble-dashed coursed rubble stone. Slate hanging to C19 wing. Rendered stacks with weatherings, brick stacks to C19 wing. Gable-ended slate roofs, hipped over upper end wing. Plan and development: 3-room-and-through-passage plan (facing north-west), with former service end to right and inner room with later front parlour wing to left, kitchen and dairy at time of survey respectively (July 1987). Possibly former medieval open hall floored in the C19 but no positive evidence for this was noted at time of survey. Axial stack at lower end of hall and external lateral stack to rear of lower room. Parlour wing (dairy at time of survey) (July 1987) added to front at higher end, probably in the early to mid C17. Staircase inserted in through passage, probably in the late C19 (see blocked rear through-passage doorway). Late C19 cross wing added at service end, with integral end stacks. 2 storeys. Exterior: asymmetrical 4-window front to north-west; mainly C19 two and 3-light wooden casements, C20 3-light first floor metal casement to left-hand wing. Weatherings above right-hand ground floor window. Central late C19 boarded door with 4 glazed lights at top and pegged frame. Wide battered buttresses to right of right-hand ground floor window and narrow battered buttress to right of left-hand cross wing. Lean-to in angle of left-hand cross wing incorporating open fronted shed to left and probable kennel to right, with boarded door. C19 cross wing projecting to right with small first floor window; 3-bay south-west front of cross wing with margin-light sashes and central half-glazed door. Left-hand gable-end of main range with central boarded door and battered buttress to right. Short lean-to outshut in angle of wing at rear with blocked through-passage doorway visible inside. Inserted half-glazed door in rear of hall, with porch. Interior: chamfered cross beams in hall and inner room and chamfered beam between inner room and front parlour wing. Stone fireplace of circa 1900 in hall, brought in from Coombe House, Porlock in mid to late C20, but retaining late C19 overmantel with key and scrolled brackets. C19 matchboarding to hall. Slate shelves in dairy (former parlour wing). C19 cross wing, first floor rooms and roof not inspected at time of survey (July 1987). Listing NGR: SS7476647289

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SS 74771 47293 (25m by 23m)
Map sheet SS74NW
Civil Parish BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)