MDE21126 - Heddon Hall (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
'Rectory' shown on Ordnance Survey 6 inch map.  Building shown but not marked on the 1963 map.  The early 19th Century saw the building of the Rectory (now Heddon Hall), secluded with its walled garden, fishponds and avenues of trees. It resembles a country squire’s house, which many rural clergy were then considered. Former rectory, now private house. Circa 1820-30. Stuccoed stone rubble. Hipped slate roof with deep sprocketed eaves. Lions heads to moulded cast iron gutters.The main range has 3 principal roomswith the principal entrance to left (west side). The building has two service wings, that to left is gable-ended and the one to right is hipped. The wings project at right angles from rear of main range forming 3 sided rear courtyard. Slightly recessed single storey ballroom with tall lateral rear stack extends from right (east) side of main range.  Heddon Hall has formal and picturesque gardens, rock garden, parkland and lakes, covering an area of 14 hectares.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Set in landscaped grounds, Heddon Hall is the former rectory with a three-bay Regency stuccoed front and central full-height bow to the principal rooms. It was built c.1820-30 and the hipped slate roof with deep sprocketed eaves and lions’ heads on the moulded cast iron gutters are typical of the period. There are two rear service wings, one hipped, the other gabled forming a three-sided rear courtyard, as well as a single-storey ballroom slightly recessed and to the right of the main frontage. The interior is thought to be original, with six-panelled doors and door cases, marble chimney-pieces, and moulded plaster cornices to principal rooms. The staircase is lit by a large round-arched rear window.  The Parsonage is depicted and labelled on the Parracombe Tithe Map. The Apportionment lists it as Glebe land, owned and occupied by the Reverend John Pyke. 
- <1> SDE65803 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903/38. 6 Inch: 1903-38. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Parracombe (9 April 1987) 70.
- <4> SDE60460 Unpublished document: Devon Gardens Trust. 1995. Heddon Hall / Recording Sheet.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM6948 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Parracombe: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 7, 8, 12, 13.
- <7> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 244.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6725 4507 (29m by 20m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: 19th Century kitchen garden at Heddon Hall (Building) (MEM23494)
- Parent of: Former 19th Century farm buildings associated with Heddon Hall (Building) (MEM23495)
- Parent of: Possible 19th Century former coach house and stables northeast of Heddon Hall (Building) (MEM23496)
- Parent of: Post-medieval fishponds southwest of Heddon Hall (Monument) (MDE10875)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/3/120
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31413
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37646
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54831
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/109
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/109/1
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/109/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21284
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21587
Record last edited
Feb 12 2021 3:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.