MDE20867 - Whitefield Barton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Whitefield Barton, alias Whitfield, was Witefella in Domesday. It was held by Drogo of the Bishop of Coutances. Before the Conquest it was held by Bristric. Some early descents given.  The central farmhouse and associated farm buildings appear to be shown on the Challacombe Tithe Map, possibly with other structures in the vicinity.  The farmstead had expanded by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was drawn, with some alterations to the original buildings apparently taking place, but it then appears to be much the same at the time of the 2nd Edition map. The buildings shown on these maps are still apparently extant, although the farmstead has again increased in size. [3-5] The farmstead was visited in 1996. The house is descibed as possibly 18th Century or earlier and the farmyard as having good 18th or 19th Century buildings with pigeon holes and nice features, with a big barn and a mounting block. The buildings are constructed of rubble with slate roofs and were thought to be a complete series. 
- <1> SDE59335 Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928-1938. Hundreds of Devon: The Hundred of Shirwell in Early Times. 462, 474, 491, 492.
- <2> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6779 4184 (136m by 165m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: Farmbuildings at Whitefield Farm (Building) (MDE20315)
- Parent of: Post-medieval water meadow north and west of Whitefield Barton (Monument) (MMO2106)
- Parent of: Post-medieval water meadow south of Whitefield Barton (Monument) (MMO2010)
- Parent of: Whitefield Farmhouse (Building) (MDE20316)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19079
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/106
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 13
Record last edited
May 20 2019 4:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.