MDE20316 - Whitefield Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. 17th Century, lower end rebuilt and house remodelled and extended in early 19th Century. Whitewashed rendered rubble. Slate roofs with gable ends. Lateral brick stack at rear of lower end and lateral hall stack enclosed in rear kitchen extension. 3 cell through-passage plan with dairy at upper end, lower end rebuilt and extended as parlour. Right-angled kitchen extension of 2 storeys added to rear to form overall T-shaped plan. 2 storeys. 4-window range with 2 sashes at lower end, one with horns, the other hornless. Plank door to dairy and 19th Century gabled porch with decorative fanlight. 1/2-panelled inner door with overlight with marginal glazing bars. 3-light hall window to left, 2 panes per light and hornless sash to right 8 over 12 panes. Similarly paned ground floor sash at lower gable end. Slated outshut to rear in angle of the T-shape. Interior: 2 scroll-stopped beams to hall. 19th Century joinery largely intact. Blocked internal doorways to dairy. 6 early 19th Century roof trusses.  The farmstead was surveyed in 1996. The farmhouse is descibed as lagre and rendered and possibly dating to the 18th Century but probably earlier and featuring a fanlight. It was thought it may contain earlier elements.  The building was not assessed during the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Challacombe (18 March 1986) 49.
- <2> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 13.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6778 4183 (21m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 1615/2/76
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 39987
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/106/1
Record last edited
Mar 27 2018 3:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.