MDE20315 - 19th Century farmbuildings at Whitefield Farm, Challacombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Range of farmbuildings comprising bank barn with shippon and stables with loft over. Mid 19th Century. Shale stone rubble with slate roofs with gable ends, hipped to left side projection. Bank barn to centre with right-angled projections to each side forming 3-sided farm courtyard plan. 2 storeys with first floor access to rear. Bank barn has 2 winnowing doors to front with opposing large double plank doors to rear. Pyramidal stack of pigeon holes between. External stone steps to right side opening over plank door and 4 further ground floor plank doors to shippon to left. All openings have cambered stone arches. Stables project to right end with additional lofted shippon in the angle with 2 plank doors to east side and 2 window openings on each side. Stables have 6-paned windows each side of plank door. Projection at left end has plank door with cambered stone arch above 2 larger cart archways, that to left has double plank door that to right is partially infilled with plank door inserted. 19th Century roughly hewn roof trusses are intact to the whole range.  The farmstead was visited in 1996. The farm buildings were described as a range of good 18th or 19th Century buildings with pigeon holes and nice features. The barn was also described as big. The buildingss were not assessed during the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13.  The buildings occupy the same location as a building on the Challacombe Tithe Map; it is not clear whether this was rebuilt or extended to form the present structures. The buildings are shown in their present configuration on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [4-6]
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Challacombe (18 March 1986) 50.
- <2> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 13.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6>XY SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41290 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6776 4182 (23m by 38m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 1615/2/77/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 1615/2/77/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 1615/2/77/3
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 39986
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/106/2
Record last edited
Dec 9 2019 5:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.