MDE20404 - St Mary's Church and Churchyard, Lynton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Parish church of St. Mary, Lynton. 13th Century tower, otherwise Victorian.  Pevsner describes post-medieval and modern restorations and alterations. He also mentions church fittings, font, window glass ornamented in art nouveau style, church plate and monument.  13th Century tower, the remainder rebuilt 1873-1892, font. Wall tablets. Listed grade B.  Respondent to Dean Milles questionnaire mentions rebuilding of the church during the first half of the 18th Century but no specific details are provided.  The parish church, although much altered, has thirteenth century origins. This is mainly evidenced by the tower, which retains two medieval bells. The church registers date from 1569, and the nave was rebuilt in 1741, suggesting a growing settlement at that time. The Parish Church as Pevsner states is “perched on the cliffs overlooking the sea,” a site it has occupied since at least the 13th Century. Apart from the tower, it was largely rebuilt in 1741, with a new chancel in Early English style added in 1869. A three-gabled east end was completed in 1905 with some unusual detail which combines a traditional Norman style with Art Nouveau, including stained glass, and uses stone from Ham Hill. The reredos and font are of Caen stone, the latter is said to be a replacement of a Norman one, and with a carved Jacobean cover. The listing details describe the mainly 19th Century fittings as “unusually fine,” and are thought to be the work of local craftsmen. They include the pulpit, stalls and altar rail. There are several monuments and panels, the earliest, of 1653, is to Hughe Wichehalse, and more recently to the victims of the 1952 flood disaster.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  This is visible on the 1840 Lynton Tithe map. 
- <1> SEM7486 Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. Collins. 430.
- <2> SMO4764 Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1999. The Buildings of England: Devon. Penguin Books. 2nd Edition. 554.
- <3> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Lynton (3 Sept 1973) 1.
- <4> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Dean Milles Parochial Survey; questionnaire (1747-62) summary (M Dodd, 2003).
- <5> SEM6795 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F.. 1906. The Parishes of Lynton and Countisbury. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 38. 114-224. 201-209.
- <6> SEM6837 Report: Weddell, P.J.. 1992. Preliminary Archaeological Assessment of Lynton Sewage Treatment Works. 3.
- <7> SEM6852 Report: Turton, S.D. + Weddell, P.J.. 1993. Preliminary Archaeological Assessment of Lynton/Lynmouth Sewage Treatment Works (Electricity Sub Station). 3.
- <8> SEM6953 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Lynton: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 4, 7, 9, 10, 14, 18.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <10> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7205 4944 (56m by 73m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=5284 (CHER ID: 615480)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 858/1/4/12
- Church Heritage Record ID: 615480
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 15000
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/41
Record last edited
Sep 13 2021 10:25AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.