MDE1292 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
(SS 71564455) Hut Circle (NR). (1) On Thornworthy Common a circular stony patch of bracken, shown as a hut circle on the OS map but possibly the site of a cairn, 10 paces in diameter and 1/2 ft high, largely removed to supply material for the road to the W. (2-3) SS 71584455 As described by Grinsell; however there is not enough evidence to establish it as a cairn site. Sited on 1:2500. (4) SS 7158744552. A round cairn, 13m in diameter and 0.5m maximum height levelled into a gentle north-facing slope on Thornworthy Common. Located in an area of heather, bracken and rough grass some 320m above OD. It is prominently situated with clear views from the southwest northwards around to the southeast and it overlooks the cairn cemetery on Ilkerton Ridge some 500m to the northeast. The cairn is covered in bracken and turf and has been robbed leaving its surface uneven with several amorphous humps and hollows and a rather irregular perimeter. Probing revealed a content of stone just below the surface. The interior shows a definite rise towards the centre and its stone content, though disturbed, is fairly consolidated. There does not appear to be a kerb as such but several stones are evident around the perimeter. Due to the heavy cover of vegetation its exact diameter is difficult to ascertain but it is within a few decimetres of 13m. Surveyed at 1:2500. (5)
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1962.
- <2> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings.
- <3> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited.
- <4> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 MJF 17-SEP-74.
- <6> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Sainsbury IS, 05-SEP-1994 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <7> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Ordnance Survey 1889 1:2500 Devon Sheet 7:5.
- <8> SMO4953 Survey: Lynton and Lynmouth, cairn at SS 74 SW 22/ink sketch . 1:2500. General: Paper. Pen and Ink.
|Grid reference||SS 7157 4455 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35388 (Pastscape entry: 35388)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 SW 38 and 62
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW22
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35388
Record last edited
Jun 25 2009 10:17AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.