MDE1286 - Burial Cairn on Thornworthy Little Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
(SS 71564395) Tumulus (NR). (1) Thornworthy Little Common, a bowl barrow 7 paces in diameter and 1 foot high. (2) A heather-covered bowl barrow 7.8 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high. Resurveyed at 1:2500. (3) SS 7156543949. A cairn 6.5m in diameter and 1m maximum height. Shown on the 1891 map (4) annotated `Tumulus'. This cairn is evident as a heather-covered mound prominently situated, at about 375 metres above ordnance datum on a gentle north-facing slope to the east of the marshy headwaters of a stream. It has extensive views to the north and west, is well-formed and apparently undisturbed, and probing revealed a stone content, all suggesting that it is most probably a prehistoric burial cairn. Surveyed at 1:2500. (5) The cairn is clearly visible on aerial photographs (6) as a small circular mound measuring approximately 6 metres in diameter. (7)
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. OS 6" 1962.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 123.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 Fletcher, M. J. 09/09/1974.
- <4> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. Devon Sheet 7 SW.
- <5> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Sainsbury, I. S. 08/09/1994.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4065-66. 11/07/1946.
- <7> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7156 4395 (10m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35370 (Pastscape entry: 35370)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 SW 37
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12245
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20297
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO100
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW16
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35370
Record last edited
Jun 19 2012 9:42AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.