MDE11677 - Post-medieval boundary stones in Myrtleberry Woods (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 74 NW 30.Two stone aligments reported by Burton in Myrtleberry Woods at SS 743 785 and SS 743 483.  These stone alignments lie on steep E-facing wooded slopes northeast of Myrtleberry South Settlement (MDE1248) and they overlook the Hoaroak Water some 200m south of its junction with the East Lyn River. There are a total of eleven stones which together define the boundaries of an area of coppice woodland owned by the Reverend Walter Stevenson Halliday in 1839. Although the stones are not depicted, the area is demarcated on the 1840 Tithe Map.  The stones are all, excepting one on its side at SS 74194 48350, upright earthfast slabs of local material which is available from several rocky outcrops in the vicinity. They vary in height from 0.6m to 1.1m and average 0.45m wide and about 0.1m thick. They are all, ecepting the fallen one, oriented down the slope, generally an east-west direction. A row of five (SS 74244 48502 to SS 74312 48522) mark the northern boundary and a row of six (SS 74194 48350 to 74288 48314) mark the southern boundary. The eastern boundary appears to have been the road and the western boundary the present track. Some 60m south of the southern row, about SS 7421 4828, two apparently similar slabs lay prostrate on the slope. It does not seem likely that these are from another row but possibly they are natural or unused stones quarried from nearby outcrops. There may be more stones either fallen or hidden beneath vegetation. Three charcoal burning platforms (MDE11680) lie in the area between the two rows and it is possible that the coppiced woods were used for this industry. The stones are relatively modern and are not to be confused with the prehistoric stone settings found on Exmoor. Surveyed at 1:2500. [3-5]
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Paperwork held by Devon HER / SMR. Burton RA, Exmoor Mines Research Group, Pers. Comm. (Letter & marked map in file.).
- <2> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <4> SMO4870 Survey: Lynton and Lynmouth, boundary stones at SS 74 NW 30, charcoal burning platforms at SS 74 NW 31 and 7. 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <5> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7427 4840 (164m by 243m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926042 (Original Monarch entry: 926042)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 53773
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/218/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21517
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW30
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926042
Record last edited
Aug 19 2017 2:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.