MDE11680 - Three charcoal burning platforms northeast of Myrtleberry South Camp (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7428 4839. Three platforms, probably charcoal burners stances, lie on east facing slopes in deciduous woodland about 100 metres northeast of the Myrtleberry South Settlement (MDE1248). Platform A. SS 74265 48422. A levelled oval platform 11 metres north to south by 4.5 metres with a rear scarp cut 1.9 metres deep into the slope and front scarp up to about 2 metres high. Platform B. SS 74333 48413. A similar platform is 9 metres north to south by 5 metres cut back into the slope to a depth of 2 metres. It is only 20 metres west of the road. Platform C. SS 74232 48335. The smallest platform is 9 metres north to south by 4 metres and is cut into the slope to a depth of 1.6 metres. It has a bound stone (MDE11677) set on the lip of its front scarp which suggests that this platform predates the stone which is a bound mark for coppice woodland shown on the 1840 Tithe Map. The access for all these platforms was along the slope into the sides. There may be other platforms scattered about the steeply wooded slopes (see MDE11741). Surveyed at 1:2500. [1-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SMO5831 Collection: RCHME Exeter. 1993-1999. Exmoor Project.
- <3> SMO4870 Technical drawing: Sainsbury, I.. 1994. Lynton and Lynmouth, boundary stones at SS 74 NW 30, charcoal burning platforms at SS 74 NW 31 and 7. 1:2500. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 June 1994.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 926054, Extant 14 December 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7428 4837 (101m by 87m) (3 map features)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926054 (Original Monarch entry: 926054)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 53774
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/218
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21518
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW31
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 926054
Record last edited
Dec 14 2021 3:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.