MDE11177 - Woody Bay train station, Lynton and Barnstaple Railway (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 6830 4642. Woody Bay Station shown on OS 6" (1903) Map. 'Station House' shown on OS 6" (1963) Map. [1,2] SS 6825 4641. The 'Old Woody Bay Station'  is now in use as a dwelling house.  The station site was reacquired in the mid 90s and restoration was undertaken, involving the building being 'completed gutted'.  A Kerr Stuart 60cm 0-6-0 well and side tank locomotive named 'Axe', one of seventy 'Joffre' class engines ordered by the French Government for use on the Western Front, is held at Woody Bay Station. It now has rectangular dedicatory plaques and is painted with the letters 'W D' separated by a version of the British War Office broad arrow. The plaques state: KERR STUART NO 2451 / THIS LOCOMOTIVE WAS DEDICATED / BY THE BISHOP OF EXETER / THE RT REVD MICHAEL LANGRISH / ON 11TH NOVEMBER 2008 / TO ALL THOSE WHO SERVED ON THE RAILWAYS / OF THE WESTERN FRONT IN THE GREAT WAR. The maker's plate is inscribed: KERR STUART & CO LTD / NO 2451 1915 / LONDON & STOKE. The locomotive was built in 1915 and served in World War One in France. It went out of service in c.1946 and was found derelict at Rinxent, near Calais in c.1956, being moved to to the UK in 1974. It was later stored in North Wales and purchased by the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway in 1983. It was named 'Axe' after a Devon River and restored and dedicated as a war memorial in 2008. It entered revenue earning service on 1st March 2009. 
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Devon County SMR SS64NE 99 24-Sep-87..
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1973 1:2500 SS 6846..
- <4> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Sainsbury IS 19-Aug-93 RCHME Field Investigation..
- <5> SEM7919 Website: Simon, Mark. 2013. Lynton and Barnstaple Railway.
- <6> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. UKNIWM reference 67674.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6824 4641 (19m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (4)
- http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/page/armistice-day (Information on War Memorial Locomotive 'Axe')
- http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/railway/open-sections/woody-bay-bridge-67 (Information on restoration of this section of train line and station)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915063 (Original Monarch entry: 915063)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.64674/fromUkniwmSearch/1 (UKNIWM entry: 64674)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NE/99
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31423
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21136
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE7486
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE33
- National Park
- NBR Index Number: 8146
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 503062
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915063
Record last edited
Mar 21 2018 9:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.