MDE11177 - Woody Bay train station, Lynton and Barnstaple Railway (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 6830 4642. Woody Bay Station shown on the six inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  'Station House' shown on six inch 1963 map.  SS 6825 4641. The 'Old Woody Bay Station'  is now in use as a dwelling house.  The station site was reacquired in the mid 90s and restoration was undertaken, involving the building being 'completed gutted'.  A Kerr Stuart 60cm 0-6-0 well and side tank locomotive named 'Axe', one of seventy 'Joffre' class engines ordered by the French Government for use on the Western Front, is held at Woody Bay Station. It was purchased by the railway in 1983 and is dedicated as a memorial to all those who served on the railways on the Western Front in World War One.  The building is depicted and labelled on the 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000. SS 6846.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 19 August 1993.
- <5> SEM7919 Website: Simon, Mark. 2013. Lynton and Barnstaple Railway.
- <6> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. UKNIWM reference 67674.
- <7>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39587 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6824 4641 (19m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (4)
- http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/page/armistice-day (Information on War Memorial Locomotive 'Axe')
- http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/railway/open-sections/woody-bay-bridge-67 (Information on restoration of this section of train line and station)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915063 (Original Monarch entry: 915063)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.64674/fromUkniwmSearch/1 (UKNIWM entry: 64674)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NE/99
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31423
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21136
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE7486
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE33
- National Park
- NBR Index Number: 8146
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 503062
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915063
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 4:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.