Site Event/Activity record EMO6715 - 1995: AP - Wester Shircombe Project (RCHME)
A 1:2500 scale level 3 photogrammetric survey was carried out on an area known as Wester Shircombe, situated on the southern edge of Exmoor. The survey was carried out on behalf of the RCHME Exeter field Office by the RCHME Air Photography Unit based in Swindon. The survey was required to aid further evaluation and field work. The site comprises approximately 17 hectares situated on a south facing slope to the north of the Dane Brook.The archaeological features identified and included in the final transcription included the earthwork remains of relict field boundaries which appear to overlie the remains of strip fields, the banks of which are visible as low earthworks aligned NNE-SSW, running down the slope. Within the strip fields traces of ridge and furrow is visible on two vertical aerial photographs -CPE/UK/2082/3040-3041 taken 19 May 1947. To the southwest there is a short length of hollow way or track leading into the strip fields, and to the southeast of the survey area there are several probable lynchets with fragments of perpendicular banks. Features were digitally transcribed using the AERIAL 4.20 rectification software poublished by the University of Bradford. A 1:2500 scale plan was produced of a all archaeological features visible on available aerial photographs in the form of an overlay to the relevant OS map sheets. Copies of the plans, digital files and the accompanying report are held by the RCHME.
- <1> SMO5857 Archive: Miller, A. and Small, F.. 1995. RCHME: Wester Shircombe Project, Somerset.
- <2> SMO5697 Aerial photograph transcription: Small, F.. 1995. Wester Shircombe/ink AP transcription . 1:2500. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO5002 Aerial photograph transcription: Small, F.. 1995. Wester Shircombe/pencil AP transcription . 1:2500. Permatrace. Pencil.
- <4> SMO5699 Report: Small, F.. 1995. Wester Shircombe: An archaeological survey. Air photographic transcription and analysis. RCHME.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1031555, Enhanced 2 February 2022.
|Location||Wester Shircombe, Molland, Somerset|
|Grid reference||Centred SS 843 310 (800m by 600m) (13 map features)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- MDE12509 Medieval or post-medieval deserted farmstead north of Lyshwell (Monument)
- MDE12508 Medieval or post-medieval farmstead northeast of Lyshwell Farm (Monument)
- MDE12507 Medieval or post-medieval field system east of North Lyshwell (Monument)
- MDE12432 North Lyshwell deserted farmstead (Monument)
- MSO11738 Wester Shircombe deserted farmstead, Hawkridge (Monument)
Record last edited
Feb 2 2022 1:02PM