MDE12507 - Medieval or post-medieval field system east of North Lyshwell (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Extant banks, up to 0.5 metres high in places, on north facing slope. Rectangular/square field system. Tithe Map (1842) refers to whole area as North Lyshwell. [1,2] A field system centre at SS 8390 3080 part of North Lyshwell. On the southern side of the Danes Brook is rectangular field called North Lyshwell. It extends to some 12 hectares. Within it are a number of field banks which divide the area into at least 12 rectangular fields. These contain slight traces of ridging apparently created within the enclosed fields, perhaps to aid drainage or as part of general agricultural improvement. Underlying the rectangular field system is a single lynchet. it consists of a steep north facing scarp 1.2 metres high which runs beneath one of the field banks at its eastern end. Here the field bank kicks abruptly as it passes over the lynchet. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. Full level 3 report and landscape analysis in NMR archive. [5,6] The deserted farmstead of North Lyshwell are clearly visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 8376 3085, and with the probably associated field system immediately to the east, have been transcribed as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey at a 1:2500 scale. The farmstead appears to be connected to the field system by a trackway defined by the banks of fields to the north and south. [7-13] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A2a, 29 May 1992.
- <2> SEM7661 Map: 1841. Molland Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1420/3290 (15 April 1946).
- <4> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1906, 16SW.
- <5> SMO5688 Report: Wilson-North, R.. 1996. Lyshwell and Shircombe: Deserted Farmsteads and Field Systems . RCHME.
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 July 1995.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1420 (F20) 3457-8 (15 April 1946).
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70382 494-5 (24 September 1970).
- <9> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS/8330/32 23426/10 (1 March 2004).
- <10> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 (F20) 4123-4 (2 September 1952).
- <11> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS/8330/10-11 18278/10-11 (10 February 1999).
- <12> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS/8330/28-31 23426/05-8 (1 March 2004).
- <13>XY SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197. [Mapped feature: #45858 ]
- <14> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1033248, Extant 2 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8399 3077 (500m by 272m)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1033248 (Pastscape entry: 1033248)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1031567 (Pastscape entry: 1031567)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54020
- Devon SMR: SS83SW/1/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21555
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO472
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW31
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1031567
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1033248
Record last edited
Feb 2 2022 1:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.