MSO9415 - Butter Cross, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Late 14th\early 15th century wayside cross. Stump with polygonal shaft in square socket on base of two octagonal steps. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 190).  Name SS 98904388] Butter Cross [NAT].  Butter Cross, a wayside cross stands on a bank by the side of the road leading to Gallox. It consists of a simple socket and part of a shaft of the ordinary 15th century type (see Illustration).  Butter Cross formerly stood near the south end of the High Street (SS99174367).  Scheduled.  The cross is as illustrated by Pooley.  Additional bibliography.  The scheduled monument includes a medieval wayside cross shaft in its square socket stone standing on a modern plinth. The whole stands on a raised knoll by the roadside to the north west of the town of Dunster. The knoll, which is included in the scheduling, stands circa 1.5 metres above the surrounding land. The simple socket and shaft is of 15th century type. The socket stone bears the inscription "WC,1871,SW" which probably records a restoration. The cross stands at the junction of four tracks within view of the church and is indicative of a wayside cross leading people towards the church. It is Listed Grade II* and is in the care of the Secretary of State. [9?] Scheduling affirmed with new national number on 18 March 1996, was Somerset 190.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site is included within Dunster's Conservation Area. The 2002 Character Appraisal states that another Scheduled Monument "in a wayside position beyond the village limits is a late 14th-early 15th century former market cross consisting of polygonal shaft on the base of two octagonal steps. It was probably moved from its original site near the junction of High Street, Castle Hill and West Street in about 1820."  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 6 inch / 1928-38.
- <3> SSO1792 Monograph: Pooley, C. 1877. Old Stone Crosses of Somerset. 154.
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Ordnance Survey. 1902. Object Name Book, 32.
- <5> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Ministry of Works. 1961. List Ancient Monuments of England and Wales, 83.
- <6> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. 26 May 1965.
- <7> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10000 / 1972.
- <8> SEM7757 Monograph: Snell, F. J.. 1906. Memorials of Old Somerset. 122, 133-4.
- <9> SSO1152 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 30.5.1996. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <10> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <11> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <12> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p20.
- <13> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <14> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9881 4387 (2m by 3m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36872 (Pastscape entry: 36872)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/86
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11990
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12124
- Guardianship Monument
- Guardianship Number: 193
- Listed Building List Entry UID: 264719
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE9
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36872
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34620
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34987
Record last edited
Dec 9 2015 10:13AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.