MSO9411 - Medieval and post-medieval shambles, High Street, Dunster (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[SS 9915 4380] Site of Shambles [NR] [1, 8] Not many years ago the wide main street of Dunster was divided down the middle by a row of sheds or shambles, but becoming derelict they were removed. [2, 6] The site of the shambles is now used as a car park. [3, 7] All the timber houses and shambles in the middle of the main street, except the Yarn Market (MSO9413) were pulled down in 1825, a new market house having been built.  Additional bibliography.  The site is mentioned in Dunster's Conservation Area character appraisal (2002), which states "The High Street, originally known as Chepyng Strete had a central range of buildings - The Shambles - alongside the Yarn Market, which are thought to have been demolished in the 1820s."  "By 1423 a range of open stalls had been built in the centre of North Street to augment the number of permanent shops and to provide for the ever-growing body of customers. Users of these stalls paid dues to the bailiffs while the keepers of the Shambles with the other officers helped regulate the business of the market." It was pulled down in 1825 due to its dilapidated state.  An engraving by Thomas Higham from a drawing by J Buckler in 1821 shows the main street and castle in Dunster. This includes a view of the Shambles as it stood at this time. This was a single storey open sided timber framed range that ran down the centre of the street from the Yarn Market, terminating at and abutting a building at the southern end. It had a low pitched, tiled or slated roof.  A map dating from 1790 depicts the location of the Shambles. 
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 25" 1929.
- <2> SSO801 Monograph: Barrett, C.R.B. 1894. Somerset Highways, Byways and Waterways. p324.
- <3> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 10 June 1965.
- <4> SEM8806 Article in serial: Maxwell Lyte, H.C.. 1880. Dunster and its Lords. Archaeological Journal. 37. Parts 1 to 4, pp57-93, 155-179, 271-293, 395-405. 291, 403.
- <5> SEM7229 Monograph: Collinson, J.. 1791 (2006). The History and Antiquities of Somerset. Archive CD Books Ltd. 15.
- <6> SSO801 Monograph: Barrett, C.R.B. 1894. Somerset Highways, Byways and Waterways.
- <7> SSO1752 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS94SE. 5.
- <8> SSO1533 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1929. County Series, 3rd Edition 25 inch map. 1:25,000.
- <9> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p9.
- <10> SEM7516 Monograph: Binding, H.. Discovering Dunster. The Exmoor Press. p6, 12.
- <11> SSO1909 Monograph: Savage, J.. 1830. A History of the Hundred of Carhampton. Illustration in inside front cover.
- <12>XY SEM8088 Map: Unknown. 1790. Map of Dunster. 5 chains: 1 inch. [Mapped feature: #39100 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9915 4376 (20m by 77m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36860 (Pastscape entry: 36860)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12016
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE5
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36860
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34815
Record last edited
Jan 7 2020 4:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.