MSO8670 - Landacre Bridge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 8164 3613) Landacre Bridge (NAT)  Landacre Bridge, over the River Barle, has five stone arches.  SS 817 361. Landacre Bridge. Scheduled.  Landacre Bridge. Listed Grade 2. Probably late mediaeval. There is stated to be a record of the bridge having existed in 1610. Graceful stone bridge on five pointed-head arches, cutwater buttresses between arches on each side. Stone parapets. Restored.  Road bridge over River Barle. Probably late medieval in origin, restored subsequently and in 1875. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 266).  Five arched bridge over the River Barle.  Scheduling affirmed with new national number on 11 August 2003 (was Somerset 266).  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 4.  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A.  The site was surveyed in March 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 4. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SMO5764 Monograph: Jervoise, E.. 1930. The Ancient Bridges of the South of England. Architectural Press. P. 112.
- <3> SEM7732 Index: Department of the Environment (IAM). 1978. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales 1978. P. 124.
- <4> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . MHLG (Prov HHR) Dulverton RD Somer (September 1955) 26.
- <5> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SSO923 Unassigned: Dennison, E, Somerset County Council. 02.07.85.
- <7> SSO1136 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 20/8/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <8> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <10> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8164 3612 (28m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35756 (Pastscape entry: 35756)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1076/12/160
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10792
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11977
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35756
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34591
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31294
Record last edited
Feb 2 2016 10:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.