The monument includes a medieval multi-span bridge which carries Landacre Lane over the River Barle on Withypool Common. The bridge is aligned north east to south west across the river and is constructed throughout from random rubble stone. It has five pointed arches, each with two courses of rubble voussoirs, and separated by angled cutwaters. The arches spring from the middle of the cutwaters which have hipped tops and square piers in the downstream abutments. The parapet walls are 0.6m high with saddleback coping of up-ended slate and they extend for 22.7m on either side of the single carriageway which is 2.7m wide. The ends of the parapet walls are set with large single blocks and are splayed outwards, extending beyond the span of the bridge for 4.9m on the north west side and for 1.5m on the south east side. An Ordnance Survey bench mark on a stone slab is embedded in the inner face of the north parapet wall. The bridge is known locally as `Lannacre Bridge' and is believed to be late medieval. There is a record of it having been in existence by 1610. The bridge is a Listed Building Grade II*.
All wooden railings and sign posts are excluded from the scheduling, as is the carriageway surfacing, although the ground beneath all of these features is included.
Book Reference - Author: Jervoise, E - Title: The Ancient Bridges of S England - Date: 1930 - Page References: 112 - Type: DESC TEXT