MSO12159 - All Saints Church and Churchyard, Wootton Courtenay (Building)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The earliest work in the church is of the 13th Century, which includes part of the east wall and east window and the greater part of the tower. The nave was re-roofed in the mid 15th Century and the aisle added. In the 16th Century, the south side of the nave seems to have been almost rebuilt. Drastic alterations and rebuildings took place between 1860-70.  In normal use.  Graveyard in use since at least medieval times.  Three plaques within the church are dedicated to the 47 men who served in World War One, 5 of whom died, and one member of the parish who died in World War Two. The plaques have a decorative surround of laurel leaves and bunches of grapes. The inscriptions are in raised and polished letters. The central plaque has a tall nowy head.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 77 (1931), 75-77.
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. GH Pitcher, Ordnance Survey, 15 June 1965.
- <3> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. 353.
- <4> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. 92.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Matthew Nicholas, Somerset County Council, 2 June 2003.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 10 December 1976.
- <7> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. UKNIWM reference 24731.
- <8> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9382 4342 (42m by 79m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36993 (Pastscape entry: 36993)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=570 (CHER ID: 601489)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/6/120
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601489
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10628
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6254
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW13
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36993
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31107
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35062
Record last edited
Jan 8 2018 1:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.