MSO9601 - World War Two observation post on Bossington Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An underground structure identified from 1946 aerial photographs astride a field boundary. See MMO627 for overall details.  Possibly visible from the air in 1993.  A large spread mound 30x35m crossed by farm tracks. One piece of cast concrete protrudes slightly from the top - the lintel of a filled entrance? A low wide bank runs to the SW which is probably part of the field system MSO8075.  The remains of an observation post lie on Bossington Hill at SS 9130 4824. The features were recorded using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. The remains comprise a grass covered mound, 35 x 22 x 2m high. The concrete structure on the mound top represents the remains of the entrance, which was on the northern side. The observation post functioned as part of the WWII tank training range on Bossington Hill, Selworthy Beacon and North Hill.  The observation post referred to above  is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The post is defined by an earthen mound that is centred at SS 9130 4824 and which measures 30m by 19m. The post was part of the Second World War tank training activities recorded as MMO627. [1, 5] This is probably a buried observation/target dugout. Given the apparent orientation of entrance it is likely to have been used in conjunction with Range C firing track (MSO8108). The concrete feature in the turf may be the remains of the wall used to retain the mound above the entrance. The entrance has subsequently been filled in. 
- <1> SSO364 Aerial photograph: July 1946. RAF 106G\UK\1655 4005 to 4013. 4012-3.
- <2> SSO405 Aerial photograph: 1993. SCC Geonex Run 3. 85.
- <3> SSO2075 Unassigned: Webster, Chris. July 1998. Comments from SMRO.
- <4> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. Riley H RCHME Field Investigation.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 160-161 17-APR-1979.
- <6> SSO1279 Unassigned: James, Adrian. 14/2/1997. Somerset County Council Staff Comments.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9131 4823 (63m by 62m)|
|District||WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132302 (Original Monarch entry: 1132302)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO880
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12330
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW146
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132302
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35518
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.