MSO9354 - Lower Mill, Dulverton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
'Lower Mill' is shown on a the 1962 Ordnance Survey map.  The mill is marked as a corn mill on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The mill is shown on the 1820 town map.  'Mill house' is printed on the 1970 Ordnance Survey map.  It is a three-storeyed building, which has been converted into a dwelling. It was fed by the main town leat from SS91242868, and had a fender, relief sluice and sluice to the wheel pit. The wheel measured 12 feet in diameter and 5 feet wide. There are remains of an earlier sluice on the low brest wheel. A trail race was culverted under the mill.  Lower Mill was a grist mill in the hands of the Scott family until the 1920s, and by William Gibbons in the 1930s.  A mill stood close to the southern end of the mill leat at least by 1790, and very probably earlier. In 1790, this was still a small building, but it was developed and extended in the early 19th century. [8, 9] Lower Mill functioned as a corn mill until the 1930s and had a single low brest wheel, with the race culverted under the mill itself.  E-mail correspondence from the family of William Henry Gibbons advises that he purchased Lower Mill from Mr Scott in 1922 for £1,500. William had already been renting and operating Oakfordbridge Mills, having taken over from his father who became the tenant in 1879. In May 1926, William Gibbons also purchased Oakfordbridge Mills when Stuckeridge Estate properties were sold off to pay TC Daniel's death duties. As Mr Gibbons was living at Oakfordbridge, his brother, Joseph Gibbons operated Lower Mill, Dulverton until 1932, when William Gibbons' wife and son took over. There was little grain to mill during the war, so Mr Williams sold Lower Mill in about 1943.  Lower Mill is depicted on a 1790 survey of Dulverton. A 1820 map depicts the mill with a water wheel crossing the town leat. By 1861, Henry Scott ran the grist mill at Lower Mill. The mill is also recorded as being a grist mill in the 1920s and 1920s. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 67(3).
- <3> SSO52 Map: 1820. Map of Dulverton.
- <4> SSO1507 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1970. 1:2500 Map. 1:2500. SS912.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society, 24 November 1977.
- <6> SMO5527 Monograph: Aston, M. + Leech, R.. 1977. Historic Towns in Somerset. Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. Survey Number 2. P.43.
- <7> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. P.28, 39, 42, Photo.
- <8> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.9, 15.
- <9> SEM7586 Map: 1790. Plan of Manor of Dulverton.
- <10> SEM6958 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. c.2003. Dulverton Conservation Area Appraisal. p5, 8, 17.
- <11> SEM8321 Unpublished document: Gibbons, P.. 2016. Contact from Exmoor HER web site: MSO9354 Lower Mill Dulverton.
- <12> SEM8290 Report: Riley, H.. 2015. Dulverton Town Weir, Exmoor: Historical research, recording and assessment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9127 2774 (25m by 21m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1114452 (Pastscape entry: 1114452)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11214
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW24
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1114452
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33546
Record last edited
Oct 4 2016 1:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.