MSO9117 - Longcombe Farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a deserted farmstead lie at SS 9865 4119. The site is close to the stream which flows down Longcombe, a tributary of the River Avill. The site lies on the edge of a conifer plantation and a track runs through it; both of these have damaged the features. The remains comprise a muddy hollow, 6.5 by 3.5 metres, centred at SS 9866 4121. The foundations of a stone wall form the west and south sides; the eastern side is formed by a scarp and the northern edge is obscured by the track and an overgrown field boundary. The remains of a field wall can be discerned in the conifer plantation. Loose stone heaped against this bank at SS 9865 4119 may be demolition material from a building.  Longcombe Farm is noted in a parish survey of Carhampton.  Maps of the mid 19th Century show the farm. [3,4] In 1889 Longcombe Farm consists of two buildings and several small enclosures on the edge of open moorland. The depression described above marks the site of the barn depicted on this map; the piles of rubble are probably the remains of the farmhouse.  The remains of the farmstead at Longcombe can clearly be seen on aerial photographs, as can the associated water meadow, enclosure and field boundary in nearby fields (see NMR UID 1480374, 1479132, and 1480367). There is a reference to a dwelling called Longcombe on a map held by the Somerset Archive Service showing a disputed area of common land on Croydon Hill. The map is believed to date to approximately 1600. [6,7]
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <2> SSO1043 Article in serial: Dixon, J.. 1980. Somerset Parish Survey 3: Carhampton. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society.
- <3> SSO1909 Monograph: Savage, J.. 1830. A History of the Hundred of Carhampton.
- <4> SEM7803 Map: 1840. Carhampton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 47(2). [Mapped feature: #39882 ]
Website: Toms, K.T.. World Wide Web page. The National Archives. 2008. Access to Archives <
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79014 039-040 (17 April 1979).
- <8> SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9865 4119 (102m by 101m)|
|Civil Parish||CARHAMPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1155086 (Original Monarch entry: 1155086)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1102
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10035
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE107
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1155086
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13472
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 3:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.