MSO8969 - Gupworthy Village (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Gupworthy village was a mining community centred around Gupworthy Old Mine for circa 100 people. Terraces formed three sides of "The square" with another terrace to the north called "Pleasant Row". Two of the cottages were converted into a chapel to replace a preaching room. Other buildings included a drying house.  The terrace sites are clearly visible as earthworks in pasture field. Part of the stone south gable wall of "Pleasant Row" still sticks through the turf. The chapel has been either demolished or entirely incorporated into modern house on the site.  Former Site of 13 miner's cottages. Remnants of the foundations of eight cottages can be identified as undulations in the field north of the existing property known as Westacre, where the former site of Peasant Row (note, not 'Pleasant Row') was located. (7) Part of the south gable wall of Peasant Row is visible through the turf. The well survives, now fenced and capped in the centre of the field and the drying house, or 'miner's dry', is still roofed and is in use as a hay store. (8)
- <1> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second. P. 59,61.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 25" 1904.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 6" 1962.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 89.
- <5> SSO837 Unassigned: Burrow, I. 11.04.84. Somerset County Council.
- <6> SSO248 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 87. 8781.
- <7> SEM6860 Report: The Hartley Conservation Partnership + David Sekers Consulting Partnership. 2004. West Somerset Mineral Railway Conservation Plan. P.23.
- <8> SEM7035 Report: Croft, R.A.. 1992. The West Somerset Mineral Railway Research Design. P. 6.
- <9> SSO161 Aerial photograph: 1993, 1994. DAP VU25-6,28 (1993), WD31-3.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 966 354 (105m by 198m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127935 (Original Monarch entry: 1127935)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11122
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE44
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127935
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33420
Record last edited
May 28 2019 4:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.