MSO8967 - Gupworthy Church and School (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of an Anglican church built of stone and slate. The church was used as a school during the week.  The building is shown on both the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, with the 1st Edition having it labelled as a school. [2,7] It was noted as being a ruin on the 1974 25" map.  The foundations and part of the south wall of the nave are visible.  The site of Gupworthy Church, a small stone and slate structure consisting of a nave and chancel. The structure is entirely demolished and levelled by ploughing. 
- <1> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second. P. 61.
- <2> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 58(1).
- <3> SSO1548 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1974. 25 inch map. 1:2,500.
- <4> SSO837 Unassigned: Burrow, I. 11.04.84. Somerset County Council. Burrow I, SCPD, 11-APR-1984.
- <5> SEM6860 Report: The Hartley Conservation Partnership + David Sekers Consulting Partnership. 2004. West Somerset Mineral Railway Conservation Plan. P.24.
- <6> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. P.16.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SSO155 Aerial photograph: 1993. DAP VU 25,28.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9650 3519 (25m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127762 (Original Monarch entry: 1127762)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11120
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE 42
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127762
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33418
Record last edited
May 28 2019 4:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.