MSO8857 - Naked Boy Stone (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
(ST 01493447) Naked Boy's Stone (BS) (NAT)  Standing Stone ST 015345 Naked Boy (W of Dun's Stone) Destroyed?  Naked Boy's Stone is said to mark the line of an ancient trackway from Combwich on the River Parrett. (Stone still shown on OS 1:10000 1977).  ST 03 SW 7/65 Naked Boy's Stone, Brendon Hill at NGR ST 01503447. Grade II. Boundary stone. Medieval. Undressed granite, roughly triangular in shape, about 1.25 metres high. Marks the boundary between Old Cleeve and Brompton Regis parishes.  Fowler confirms that the stone is still in place, with details as in . Catalogued as Brompton Regis 2. Fowler says the stone is c.1.3m high.  In the hedge to the NE are two further stones and the whole may form the remains of a chamber tomb. This might also explain the name from the celtic 'cnoc'.  The other stones are probably not associated and the stone is likely to be prehistoric. It is sited at the stream head of the River Tone. The name may derive from the British 'Hill of Cattle'.  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO1640 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" ST03NW.
- <2> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 41.
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. W Somer Mineral Railway 1970 100 (R Sellick).
- <4> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) W Somer Dist (Old Cleeve) Somer 21 12 84 38.
- <5> SSO1175 Article in serial: Fowler, MJ. 1988. The Standing Stones of Exmoor. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 1-13.
- <6> SSO1053 Unpublished document: Eardley Wilmot, H. 17.7.95. H Eardley-Wilmot to Somerset County Council.
- <7> SSO1103 Article in serial: Eardley-Wilmot, H. 1997. The Naked Boy - a reappraisal. Exmoor Review. 41-2.
- <8> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. ST03SW19 p59.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||ST 0149 3446 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188485 (Original Monarch entry: 188485)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 375/7/65
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10515
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11511
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7800
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SW19
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 188485
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33888
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30763
Record last edited
May 5 2021 3:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.