MSO8671 - New Bridge, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Withypoole Bridge, SS 846354, Scheduled. (This bridge is not noticed by Jervoise, nor can any other reference to it be traced. The map reference identifies the bridge concerned as that which crosses the River Barle just south of Withypool and is called 'New Bridge' on OS 6" 1962.)  SS83NW WITHYPOOL CP WITHYPOOL VILLAGE 12/165 Withypool Bridge at NGR 6.4.59 SS 8452 3545 II* Shown on OS map as New Bridge. Road bridge over River Barle, C19, restored in 1866 by John Buslin and William Browner and Son, and in 1983 by Somerset County Council. Flat bedded slate, red sandstone chamfered blocks terminating parapet. Six arch bridge, cutwaters between rising to springers of arches continued as buttresses to just below coping of parapet, dressed flat bedded slat to form saddle back coping, parapets raking back and terminating with buttress piers on north east and south west returns. Date 1983 set in pebbles on breakwater. This bridge replaced an earlier bridge some 100m upstream. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 268). (Photograph in NMR).  The bridge was descheduled in January 2005.  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A. 
- <1> SMO4073 Index: Scheduled Monument Notification . DOE (IAM) AMs Eng 2 1978 124.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: West Somer Dist (Exford et al) (1988).
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 34590 (confirmation letter from EH).
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 845 354 (16m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35757 (Original Monarch entry: 35757)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1076/12/165
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10797
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11976
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW9
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35757
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34590
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31300
Record last edited
Sep 4 2018 2:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.