MSO8622 - Post-medieval field system on Winsford Hill (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Extensive banked field system with associated ridge and furrow, probably of post-medieval date. The ridge and furrow is very narrow and may be steam ploughed. This system extends across South Hill and is clearly visible on vertical aerial photographs. [1-3] The medieval and/or post-medieval field system, described by the previous authority, forms part of a larger system which also extends over Winsford Hill and South Hill. It has been mapped from aerial photographs.  Extensive area of field banks and plough marks indicating area of formerly farmed land. Covers much of land now indicated as moor.  Enclosures also around The Wambarrows.  In some places the ridge and furrow lies within enclosures, however in other places the ridge and furrow underlies the enclosures. This would suggest that the ridge and furrow predates the enclosures and that the enclosures were used for grazing livestock rather than cultivation. Where the ridge and furrow does relate to boundaries this is most likely the boundary that would surround a large strip field. Overall the field evidence suggests a change in landscape use from cultivation to pasture land. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3160-2 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 3032-4 (19 May 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F61) 0269-71 (27 April 1964).
- <4> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. 20 December 1999.
- <5> SMO7528 Archive: RCHME: Winsford Hill Project, Somerset. AF1301154.
- <6> SMO7108 Aerial photograph transcription: DAVIS, JD. Winsford Hill Project/Ink AP Transcription.
- <7> SMO6670 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93SW.
- <8> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8535, 8634, 8635, 8733, 8735, 8737, 8833, 8834, 8933, 9031-9032, 9132.
- <9> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3344, 3352, 3358, 4354, 9030 and 9130.
- <10> SSO248 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 87. 8631-33.
- <11> SSO198 Aerial photograph: ENP MAM IRFC. 12.075 (December 1975).
- <12> SSO757 Unassigned: Aston, M. 07.01.77. Somerset County Council.
- <13> SSO416 Photograph: February 198. Slide (SCC Planning Department). 3.040.0036-0038.
- <14> SSO253 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 89, 8660 and Run 91, 8696.
- <15> SEM6919 Report: Smart, C.. 2002. A Study of the Relict Field System on Winsford Hill, Exmoor. P. 18-19.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8880 3337 (5730m by 4077m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1134101 (Original Monarch entry: 1134101)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974619 (Original Monarch entry: 974619)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1067
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11694
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8576
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE49
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW97
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1134101
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974619
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34253
Record last edited
Oct 25 2018 8:06AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.