MSO8532 - Two Bronze Age barrows southeast of Wambarrows (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8785 3421. Winsford 4. A bowl barrow 8 paces diameter and 1.5 feet high with a slight hollow in centre.  This is a truncated bowl barrow 0.6 metres high situated at SS 8784 3420. [2,11,12] (SS 8784 3420) Tumulus (NR)  SS 878 341 (see location plan). Two low heather covered barrows approximately 12 yards diameter by 1 yard high. Scheduled. (Only one barrow at this location listed by ).  At SS 8784 3420 is a heather, grass and moss covered circular, earthen mound, presumably a barrow, 8.5 metres in diameter and 0.5 metres high. A rectangular depression measuring 2.6 by 2.9 metres and 0.3 metres deep has been dug into its summit. Some 12 metres northwest of this feature is a second earthen mound measuring 4 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. [5,6] Heather covered and in good condition. There is a smaller second barrow 6 paces to the west on a direct line with the trig pillar, circa 0.4 metres high and 4 paces in diameter.  Two small but distinct mounds close together in total 10 metres across and 0.8 metres high. Grass and heather covered, no apparent disturbance.  Scheduling revised with new national number (was Somerset 506) on 24 February 2004.  Roughly circular area - slight mound with projecting stones and boulders. Possibly a robbed out barrow. 20 foot circle with central block of stone.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in March 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 7. 
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 42.
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 19 August 1965.
- <3> SSO1446 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 1:10,000 Map, 1978. 1:10,000.
- <4> SMO4073 Index: Scheduled Monument Notification . DOE (IAM) Record Form, 28 February 1979.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 March 1997.
- <6> SSO1871 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 83 SE 3.
- <7> SSO532 Unassigned: SMR file 34223.
- <8> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <9> SSO1156 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 4/3/2004. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <10> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 7 January 1977.
- <11> SMO1434 Photograph: BARROWS AT WINSFORD FROM SOUTH WEST. OS65/F184/3. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <12> SMO1433 Photograph: BARROWS AT WINSFORD FROM SOUTH WEST. OS65/F184/4. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <13> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <14> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 878 342 (31m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35768 (Pastscape entry: 35768)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11665
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11669
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35768
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34223
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34227
Record last edited
Apr 6 2019 9:04AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.