MSO12009 - Undated trackways on Winsford Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A track supplementing the Roman road system and in use in the post-Roman period ran over Winsford Hill, perhaps connecting the Exe valley with the North Devon coast.  Presumably the road running northwest to southeast over the hill between, say SS 870 344 and SS 890 333, and presumably identified as in post Roman use because of the 6th Century Caratacus Stone (MSO8534) alongside it.  Possibly included amongst the field system earthworks (see MSO8622).  The "trackway" is in fact the B3223 and the only evidence for this trackway appears to be the presence of the Caratacus Stone in its isolated position.  A series of well defined earthworks run across Winsford Hill, predominately southeast to northwest. These represent the remains of trackways, probably connecting Dulverton and Exford. They may date from the medieval or post-medieval period. Their relationship with the extensive post-medieval field on Winsford Hill (see MSO8622) will be elucidated following the completion of an aerial photograph transcription as part of the RCHME East Exmoor Project.  It is not immediately obvious, from the aerial survey described by , what the relationship between the trackways and the medieval or post-medieval field systems (described in MSO8622) on Winsford Hill. The example given by  between SS 870 344 and SS 890 333, seems to form part of the field system itself. 
- <1> SSO1780 Monograph: Pearce, S M. 1978. Kingdom of Dumnonia. 41.
- <2> SSO1697 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1975. SS83SE. 10.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 23 September 1986.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. CJ Webster, Somerset County Council, 22 September 1993.
- <5> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 July 1997.
- <6> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. RCHME: Winsford Hill, East Exmoor, 20 December 1999.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 885 336 (757m by 580m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35789 (Pastscape entry: 35789)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8537
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE10
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35789
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34649
Record last edited
Aug 31 2017 1:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.