MSO8302 - Clicket Farm, Timberscombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Good earthworks of a deserted farm exist at Clicket, SS 963 395, in Timberscombe parish. Possibly medieval.  SS 962396. Deserted site of Clicket, indicated in the 1327 Lay Subsidy (under Porlock) by the entry of Nicholas Cliket.  It is shown on the 1844 Tithe Map as a small settlement, part of Allercot.  On the ground there is a holloway running parallel with the stream lined with ruined buildings, a possible mill site and a number of enclosures. There are many exaggerated local traditions about the former size of the hamlet (M Aston, fieldwork 12th February 1977 and 18th January 1878).  The site is depicted and labelled on 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Some of the buildings appear to be shown as ruins on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO744 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1978. Research in 1977: (b) Fieldwork - Somerset. Medieval Village Research Group. 25. pp 14-16. 15.
- <2> SSO1039 Monograph: Dickenson, F.H.. 1889. Kirby's Quest for Somerset. Somerset Record Society. Series 3. 246.
- <3> SEM7912 Map: 1843. Timberscombe Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. DD Rt 437.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 100.
- <5> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 151 (2008), 'Clicket, a co-location of habitation', p159-164 (R Sandover).
- <6>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #39676 ]
- <7> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9626 3950 (93m by 164m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36638 (Original Monarch entry: 36638)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11623
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE17
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36638
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34123
Record last edited
Jan 28 2020 1:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.