MSO7463 - Haydon Mill / Beckham Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 961 397 Bridles [NAT] [1,2] SS 963397. Good earthworks of a deserted farm site exist at Bridles. Possibly Medieval.  SS 96193979. Beckham Mill (Disused) [NAT]  SS 961 397. Shown and named Haydon Mills on the 1843 Tithe Map. A holloway runs from the nearby deserted medieval site of Thorn (Mso7460, SS 964 398) down to the mill which is now roofless. [Aston does not include any site with the name Bridles in this list of deserted farmsteads on Exmoor].  SS 9620 3982. Hydron, Beckham, Bickham or Clicket Mill. Possible lead off for the leat (or sluice) at SS 9629 3949 but the leat is barely traceable except just south of mill building and in the vicinity of a ruined building N of the sluice. One intact and one broken mill stone in the mill building. Last mention of a miller in 1851. Said to have been last occupied in 1926.  It is unclear whether Aston  refers to the mill or another location as the site of Bridles. On the Ordnance Survey 1 inch 1st Edition 1809  the name appears to apply to the mill site, but on the OS 1:2500 1904 the name does not appear to be applied to any feature and the mill is named Beckham Mill (disused). Some remains of buildings but little identifiable except position of wheel. Leat silted and infilled.  Much of the site is traceable on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SDE65429 Map: Ordnance Survey Map Collection. 1803-4. 2 Inch Drawing. 2 Inch. OS 2" Drawing 1802-3.
- <2> SSO1423 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1 Inch Ordnance Surveyors draft map. 1:63,360. 1809.
- <3> SSO744 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1978. Research in 1977: (b) Fieldwork - Somerset. Medieval Village Research Group. 25. pp 14-16. 15.
- <4>XY SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 47(5). [Mapped feature: #39663 ]
- <5> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 95.
- <6> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 22.
- <8> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, 23 November 1977.
- <9> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. ', p159-164 (R Sandover).
- <10> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9618 3977 (83m by 164m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044885 (Original Monarch entry: 1044885)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11380
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE27
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044885
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33736
Record last edited
Sep 10 2020 8:18AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.