MMO1174 - Post-medieval water meadow associated with Clicket (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a fragmented water meadow system presumed to be associated with the deserted post medieval farmstead of Clicket (). The water meadow survives as a number of ditches running parallel to the slope. They were seen as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. [1,2] Centred at SS 9610 4000, four gutters are visible, following the contours of a steep west facing slope above an un-named stream. The gutters vary in length from 95 to 150 metres. There is no indication of a nearby water source for the gutters, and this system does not appear to be connected to any local farmyards, suggesting that this was a detached system which only distributed water to the fields and not liquid manure or other fertilisers. A series of approximately parallel gutters were used to distribute flowing water evenly over the surface of the meadow in order to prevent freezing in winter and encourage early growth in spring, thereby providing extra feed for livestock. Most catchwater meadows are believed to date to the post medieval period, although it is possible that they were first developed in the medieval period. [3-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980/3259-60 11-APR-1947.
- <2> SMO7525 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NE. AF1133887.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F63) 141-42 27-APR-1964.
- <4> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9615 3974 (265m by 688m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1166539 (Original Monarch entry: 1166539 (1479199 has been amalgamated with this record))
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2573
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10113
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7505
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE112
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1166539
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1479199
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13958
Record last edited
Jul 18 2018 11:42AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.