MSO8108 - Tank training circuit C on Bossington Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The remains of a World War Two tank training circuit lie on Bossington Hill, at the end of Hill Road, at SS 9100 4775. The site was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. The remains conmprise a triangular circuit, now visible as a grass covered track, 130 metres east to west and 120 metres north to south. The corresponding target railway is recorded under MSO8084. The circuit was accessed via Hill Road. Lumps of concrete rubble are scattered to the south of the circuit where a car park has been constructed. [1,2] The tank circuit is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs and is as described above. A source suggests that these were possibly built by conscientious objectors during the war. [3-5] One of three triangular trackways used for tank gunnery training.  Information in the National Archives (Public Record Office) shows that this track was the firing point for Range C. It seems to have been originally concreted, and was due for completion in November 1943. The practices that the tanks fired were based upon those laid down in the manuals of the period. These required crews to fire at moving and stationary targets from a moving and stationary tank. The crew had to fire at targets whilst moving broadside to, advancing towards and retreating from the target area. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <2> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 94 NW 160.
- <3> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9048/9 (18283/08) (10 February 1999).
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1655 4011-4012 (11 July 1946).
- <5> SEM7687 Website: 2007. http://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives/exmoor/parsonssummary2.htm#2/2.
- <6> SSO2080 Verbal communication: Webster, CJ. Sept 1997. Comments from Somerset HER staff.
- <7> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Adrian James, 7 June 2006, Somerset County Council.
- <8> SSO713 Unassigned: Dec 1943. WO 166/12234, War Diary for 719 AW Coy, RE.
- <9> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9102 4774 (178m by 164m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132676 (Pastscape entry: 1132676)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO954
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12322
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW159
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132676
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35510
Record last edited
Mar 5 2019 5:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.