MSO8104 - World War Two buildings and quarry near Hill Road (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Buildings associated with the running of the World War Two tank training ranges on Bossington Hill, Selworthy Beacon and North Hill were sited close to the large stone quarry by Hill Road (SS 9283 4766). This information was given by the local tenant farmer.  To the south of the quarry is a level platform, defined by a scarp 40 metres long and 1.6 metres high. This is formed from bulldozed spoil from these buildings. A very large concrete lump lies at the base of the scarp. The site was recorded using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project.  The buildings referred to above  are not visible on the available photography. The buildings may have been assocaited with the quarry itself as it was probably used during the Second World War for the construction of the military road and tank training circuits. [3-5] This could be the site of the main quarry from which stone was extracted for the construction of the range. There would have been the need for stone crushers, reinforcing rod bending facilities and perhaps other workshops for supplying material for the construction of the firing circuits, main range roads and dugouts.  The quarry is depicted on 2020 MasterMap data and labelled "Workings (dis)". 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Tenant farmer, pers comm 1998.
- <2> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3013-3014 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO7036 Verbal communication: Dickson, Amanda D. 2007-2009. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment (Severn Estuary NMP).
- <5> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
- <6> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Adrian James, 19 June 2006.
- <7>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #40044 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9283 4765 (91m by 57m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132593 (Original Monarch entry: 1132593)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO948
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12657
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW155
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132593
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35869
Record last edited
Nov 2 2020 9:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.