MSO8099 - World War Two observation post on Bossington Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
In front (southwest) of the southeast end of the tank gunnery range target track (MSO8096) is a large raised earthwork platform. See MSO8097 and MMO1496 for similar platforms.  The remains of a military structure lie on Bossington Hill, close to the target railway, at SS 9118 4805. The feature was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. It comprises a low, grass and gorse covered mound, 35 x 20 x 2m high. No structural features are visible but it probably functioned as an observation post for the WWII tank training range on Bossington Hill.  The possible observation post referred to above  is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The post is defined by an earthen mound that is centred at SS 9118 4805 and measures 24m by 20m. A concrete structure on top of the mound probably represents the entrance. The post was part of the Second World War tank training activities recorded as MSO627. [3,4]
- <1> SSO2075 Unassigned: Webster, Chris. July 1998. Comments from SMRO.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Riley H 1998 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3016-3017 11-JUL-1946.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 160-161 17-APR-1979.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9118 4805 (40m by 39m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132305 (Original Monarch entry: 1132305)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO881
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12587
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW147
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132305
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35795
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.