MSO8091 - World War Two observation post northwest of Selworthy Beacon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 91600 48382 are the remains of a presumed observation post of World War Two date. The structure has clearly been blown up from within because it is roofless and the three surviving walls tilt outwards. The building is massively constructed: it measures 3.8 metres by 5.5 metres and has walls 1.4 metres high. From what survives it is possible to state that the roof was made of reinforced concrete 0.5 metres thick, whilst the walls were 0.9 metres thick, having a brick outer skin with reinforced concrete within. Pieces of electric cable are visible around, and ducting is visible through the walls to allow power to be brought into the building. [1,2] The observation post is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The post is defined by an earthen mound that is centred at SS 9160 4838 and which measures 23 metres by 28 metres. The mound has subsequently been levelled on aerial photographs taken in 1999 leaving a ruined structure). The post was part of the Second World War tank training activities recorded as MSO7616. [3,4] Several large pieces of concrete and a brick wall survive in a cultivated field. Only viewed from a distance. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 April 1998.
- <2> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 94 NW 133.
- <3> SSO2075 Unassigned: Webster, Chris. July 1998. Comments from SMRO.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1655 4011-4012 (11 July 1946).
- <5> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9148/7 (18283/01) (10 February 1999).
- <6> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 91601 48380 (48m by 44m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1131098 (Pastscape entry: 1131098)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167622 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167622)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO826
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12581
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW133
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167622
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1131098
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35789
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.