MSO8085 - World War Two tank range structure at North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At SS 9225 4845 is a large, gorse covered mound, all that remains of a tank range bunker in the same relationship to the target track MSO8084 as MSO8099 is to track MSO8096.  Centred at SS 92180 48500 is a flat topped earthen mound. It measures 32 metres by 20 metres and is 4 metres high. Its top has been disturbed by recent farming activity. The mound is probably associated with the nearby target railway (MSO8084) and is clearly of World War Two date. It may be an observation post.  The mound referred to above  is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The mound is centred at SS 9219 4850 and measures 27 metres long by 19 metres wide and is as described above. [3-5] This is probably a buried "pull-up" target dugout, however there is no sign of the target frame (see MSO8097). 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, SMR Officer, July 1998.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 April 1998.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 161-162 (17 April 1979).
- <5>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #42988 ]
- <6> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Adrian James, 19 June 2006.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 92200 48501 (42m by 37m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1131084 (Original Monarch entry: 1131084)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA168311 (National Trust HER entry: MNA168311)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO821
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12599
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW127
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA168311
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1131084
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35810
Record last edited
Nov 4 2020 2:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.