MSO8020 - Late prehistoric flint scatter at Tivington Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Cornish Collection at Taunton Museum incorporates a number of Mesolithic and Neolithic flints - microliths, scrapers, gravers, arrowheads, - recorded simply from Tivington. This may refer to Tivington Farm where Miss M Hatch-Barnwell collected a large number of Mesolithic flakes, cores, blades, saws, etc., when the fields were ploughed between 1942 and 1947. She said that there was no particular concentration but a spread of worked flints throughout the area of the farm, centred at SS 929454. The flints are in her possession.  Mesolithic implements from Tivington in Taunton Museum are: 2 blades or flakes, 5 scrapers, 7 microliths. Also listed as in Taunton Museum are 3 scrapers from Periton or Tivington (see Somerset HER Monument record PRN 35243). [2,3] It is not clear whether these finds are associated with the sub-rectangular enclosure noted from aerial photographs (MMO1604).  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Classified Index Taunton Museum. [Mapped feature: #46799 ]
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Miss M Hatch-Barnwell, Minehead.
- <3> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 20 June 1965.
- <4> SEM8552 Archive: South West Heritage Trust. 1977-. Somerset Historic Environment Record. PRN 35243.
- <5> SMO5219 Monograph: Wymer, J.J. + Bonsall, C.J. (Editors). 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic Sites in England and Wales, with a Gazetteer of Upper Palaeolithic Sites in England and Wales. Council for British Archaeology. CBA Research Report No 20. pp 247-8.
- <6> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Catherine Dove, 6 March 2013.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36826, Extant 11 May 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 929 454 (point)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12191
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW21
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36826
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33668
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35236
Record last edited
May 11 2022 12:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.