MMO1604 - Later prehistoric ditched enclosure southwest of Tivington Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A ditched enclosure of probable later prehistoric date is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, approximately 200 metres to the southwest of Tivington Farm, at circa SS 929 454, Selworthy parish. The cropmark of the ditch is approximately four metres wide and defines an enclosure which is roughly D shaped or pentagonal in plan, measuring up to 80 metres across internally. It is not possible to identify an entrance with certainty but one may be apparent on the southern edge of the enclosure on 1946 photography. Hints of linear features abutting the enclosure to the north and south may indicate the remains of associated field systems but these cropmarks are unclear and may be caused by modern agricultural activity or agricultural improvements, such as the narrow ridge and furrow ploughing also visible on the 1946 photography. [1-5] It is possible that the Mesolithic / Neolithic flint scatter recorded as MSO8020 is associated with this site. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9245/1-3 (DAP 6901 1-3) (6 July 1990).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3104-5 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAL 76046 192-3 (15 June 1976).
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR DAP SM2 7/90 (1990).
- <5>XY SMO7550 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 NW. MD002167. [Mapped feature: #32550 ]
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 6 March 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9290 4544 (86m by 198m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1459959 (Original Monarch entry: 1459959)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MS08020
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MEM15174
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW209
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1459959
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35236
Record last edited
Dec 15 2020 12:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.