MSO8011 - Catherine's Well (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
[SS 91424690] Katherine's Well (NAT)  Katherine's Well, Selworthy, listed as a holy well.  Katherine's Well is a small spring surrounded by a number of large stones.  SS 9142 4689. A holy well located at the southern edge of Selworthy Plantation. The well head is believed to be of medieval date and is formed by a structure of large stone slabs arranged around the water source. Scheduled in 2002.  A small spring surrounded by large stones placed to emphasise it, it is sometimes regarded as a holy well and misnamed St. Katherine’s well. It is in the southern part of Selworthy Plantation. It was probably enhanced during the first part of the 19th Century by Sir Thomas, 10th Baronet, as he was very much influenced by the Picturesque movement.  Catherine's Well is recorded in the National Trust archives as being constructed in 1820. The spring almost certainly existed before it was named after this member of the Acland family.  The well was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 7. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SSO1264 Monograph: Horne, E. 1923. Holy Wells of Somerset. 52.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 July 1965.
- <4> SSO410 Index: English Heritage. 1913-. Schedule of Monuments. 16 October 2002.
- <5> SEM6872 Report: Richardson, I.. 2001. Holnicote Estate Archaeological Survey: Part 1.
- <6> SEM7969 Article in serial: Camp, P. 2009. Holnicote Estate Countryside News - January 2009. 1.
- <7> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||SS 9141 4689 (point) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36774 (Pastscape entry: 36774)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11580
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW5
- National Trust HER Record: 115417
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36774
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33986
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.