MSO7961 - Radio Communication Complex, Stent Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Centred at SS 84045 47352 are three brick buildings of WWII date. They lie on Stent Hill, a pronounced west-east ridge overlooking the Bristol Channel. Building 1. SS 84102 47336. Brick-built and single storey with metal windows on north and south sides. There is a asbestos sheeting roof. It measures 7.9 metres by 5.8 metres. There is a doorway at the west end, with a second doorway at the east. Building 2. SS 84045 47352. Single storey and brick built. It measures 3.8 metres by 3.3 metres. The building is roofless. There is a doorway on north side and a single window on the west side. There is metal racking on two walls. The interior has been used to dump farm rubbish. Building 3. SS 84041 47376. A single storey brick building which measures 2.8 metres square. The building is roofless and there is a doorway on the south side.Around the site are several areas of exposed concrete and rubble. Some of these features might be interpreted as the base for a mast.Local information suggests that the site was a radio-communication complex, and the farmer states that high voltage power lines were brought to the site during WWII. John Hellis (8) writes that the complex may have been used by 80 Wing RAF as a `bromide' beam bending station for use against the German bombing navigation aids. (1-2) A small square building is shown on 1962 Ordnance Survey map. (3) This is the remains of an anti-aircraft battery. The remains include several brick and concrete buildings and the remains of one gun mounting with the ironwork lying by the side of one of the buildings. There are also several areas which appeared to have been other sites of buildings but they have now been lost to agriculture. (4) The site is visible on aerial photographs taken in 1946. The site is centred at ST 8408 4735 and comprises four buildings. Three of the buildings were surrounded by a boundary fence enclosing a polygonal area that measures 70 metres by 47 metres at its widest points. The fourth building centred at ST 8415 4727 was 55 metres southeast of the enclosed site and measured about 4 metres by 4 metres. The site was probably defended by the searchlight battery, located 530 metres to the west and recorded as MSO7962. Accommodation was probably provided by the nissan huts located about 700 metres to the east and recorded as MSO7787. Only three buildings remain extant on aerial photographs taken in 1998. (5-6)
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Wilson-North, R. 19/08/1998.
- <2> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. SS 84 NW 53.
- <3> SSO1463 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 1:10560 sheet SS84NW.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Dennison, E. SCC 02.04.1986.
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1501 4340-4341. 13/05/1946.
- <6> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8447/2 (18048/17). 19/05/1998.
- <7> SMO7540 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NW. MD000129.
- <8> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Hellis, J. Field Co-ordinator, Defence of Britain Project.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 84102 47319 (147m by 146m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1125631 (Pastscape entry: 1125631)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127198 (Pastscape entry: 1127198)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO789
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12002
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7965
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW39
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW53
- National Park
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1125631
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127198
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34639
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34639
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.