MSO7787 - World War Two nissen huts in Yeanor Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The footings of five nissen huts are centred at SS 83325 47225 immediately adjacent to the road from Culbone Hill to Worthy. Local information indicates that they were associated with the building complex on Stent Hill (MSO7961) and the nearby WWII battery (MSO7962). The nissen huts were arranged in a line beside the road from SS 8329 4721 to SS 8336 4725. The footings of these buildings are clearly visible as grass covered platforms up to 0.5 metres high with concrete floors visible in places. Each building measures 11.2 metres by 4.9 metres. Surveyed as part of RCHME's Exmoor Project. [1,2] The Second World War nissen hut bases are visible on aerial photographs taken in 1946. Another two possible nissen hut footings are visible 65 metres further to the northeast and centred at SS 8341 4729. These footings have similar dimensions to the other five measuring 11 metres long by 5 metres wide. [3,4] Shown along the north side of the road on 1947 aerial photographs. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 29 July 1997.
- <2> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. SS 84 NW 54.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. /106G/UK/1501 4340-4341 (13 May 1946).
- <4>XY SMO7540 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NW. MD000129. [Mapped features: #38309 ; #44558 ; #44559 ]
- <5> SSO391 Aerial photograph: 11/4/1947. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3034.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 83357 47258 (131m by 106m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1125636 (Original Monarch entry: 1125636)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO790
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12723
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW54
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1125636
- Somerset SMR PRN: 57157
Record last edited
May 29 2019 5:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.