MSO7935 - Post-medieval brick and tile works at Porlock Weir (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A brick kiln is shown on the south side of Porlock Weir dock, at SS 86340 47963, annotated as 'BK' on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. It was part of the 'Brick and Tile Works (Disused)' shown on the same map.  The Brick and Tile Works or kiln are not shown on the Porlock Tithe Map of 1841.  The Brick and Tile Works or kiln are not shown on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  It is not known when the Brick and Tile Works were built, but they are not shown on the Tithe Map, and must have gone by 1903, as they are not shown on the Ordnance Survey map of that year. There is now no trace of the kiln on the ground; its site falls between two modern buildings: a craftshop and a house called the "Weighbridge".  A surface of cobbles and 19th-20th Century machine made, perforated bricks were revealed during redevelopment of the garden at Weighbridge Cottage, in the area of where the Brick and Tile Works were marked on 1st Edition mapping. 19th-20th Century ceramics and building materials were discovered on site.  In 1875 there was also a brick and tile company beside the inner harbour. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset Sheet 34(1).
- <2> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, Somerset Sheet 34(1).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 November 1994.
- <5> SEM6940 Report: Freeman, J.. 2008. Archaeological Watching Brief at Weighbridge Cottage, Porlock Weir.
- <6> SEM6949 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Porlock Weir: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p7.
- <7> SEM7093 Monograph: Corner, Dennis. 1992. Porlock in Those Days. Exmoor Books. p52.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8633 4796 (76m by 94m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=957689 (Original Monarch entry: 957689)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE56
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 957689
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (20-50)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (50-100)
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18067
Record last edited
Nov 10 2020 11:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.