MSO7877 - Remains of chapel in Chapel Cottage, Porlock Weir (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
[SS 86644759] Chapelknap Cottage on site of (NAT) Chapel (NR)  The cottage known as Chapel Cottage, Porlock Weir, incorporates traces of an old chapel, notably in the walls, windows and roof. Two piscinas have been built into the walls. Before demolition in 1887 or 1888  a plan  was drawn by C H Samson, F.R.I.B.A., and photographs taken by Chadwyck Healey.  The plan is in the County Museum  and two of the photos are shown in Hook's 'History' [2-4] The only visible evidence of the chapel is in the entrance hall of the modern house which now occupies the site. Two piscinas are built into the walls, and the ceiling appears to be a replica of the chapel wagon roof. Chadwyck Healey suggests that this was probably a guild chapel and that it is the St Olave's Chapel mentioned in the 16th century.  At Porlock Weir is a small cottage called the Oratory, which tradition says was formerly a cell to Barlinch priory.  "Chapelknapp Cottage (on site of Chapel)" printed on OS 6" map.  The cottage known as Chapel Cottage incorporates traces of an old chapel notably in the walls, window and roof. One piscina and one recess have been built into the walls. The ceiling appears to be a replica of the chapel wagon roof. Probably a guild chapel and that it is the St Olave's chapel mentioned in the 16th Century.  Of particular interest is the site of a former chapel at Chapel Knap. This was probably a Chapel of Ease, similar to those at Lynch and Tivington, and appears to have been demolished in the latter half of the 19th century, although portions are said to remain incorporated in the house that now occupies the site. It was probably dedicated to St. Olave, and is that mentioned in the rent roll of Cecily Bonville, Marchioness of Dorset, prepared c. 1525 where an item refers to the “wardens of St. Olave for the Chapel.” Nearby, is the site of an earlier chapel at Chapel Knap, although no built evidence is thought to survive. The site is occupied by a large late 19th century house and outbuildings, mainly stone-built with brick dressings, double-Roman tiled roof and casement windows, some with narrow glazing bars. As in the style of many villas of the period, the main frontage faces away from the highway, with former service wing grouped around a courtyard with stable-block paving.  Two buildings are depicted within Plot 917 on the Porlock Tithe Map, recorded as 'Chapples, House and Garden' within the accompanying Tithe Apportionment. 
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 25" 1888.
- <2> SSO18 Article in serial: Small, F.. 1889. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 35. 48.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Letter (C E H C Healey).
- <4> SMO5307 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Object Name Book reference . Rev ONB 1902 3.
- <5> SSO1261 Monograph: Hook, W. 1893. History of the Ancient Church of Porlock. p80.
- <6> SSO870 Monograph: Chadwyck-Healy, CEH. 1901. History of West Somerset. p24, 266.
- <7> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. i. Porlock Rental of Marchioness of Dorset (Temp. Henry VIII).
- <8> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 GHP 09-JUL-65.
- <9> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Hist & Ants of the County of Somer 2 1791 37 (J Collinson).
- <10> SSO1559 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1931. 6" sheet 34NW.
- <11> SSO1924 Unassigned: Seward, D Somerset County Council. 04.04.85.
- <12> SSO521 Unassigned: SMR file 33926.
- <13> SSO1704 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS84NE. 6.
- <14> SEM6949 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Porlock Weir: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p7, 14.
- <15> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile. Plot 917.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8663 4759 (20m by 15m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35846 (Original Monarch entry: 35846)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11531
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE6
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35846
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33926
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.