MSO7781 - Mill Barrow (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
SS 817463. Mill Barrow on the 1963 6 inch Ordnance Survey map.  The name applies to a wooded hill which has a stone wall revetment around its base. The hill appears to be a outlier and natural in origin. It is situated in a valley and so could have conceivably been used as a location for a windmill although this is doubtful. There are no earthworks on the hill, except for some quarrying. There is also no sign of any watermill and the stream (Oare Water) flows on the opposite side of the road with no sign of a leat.  SS 8166 4636. A natural rocky knoll covered with mixed woodland. The top is a linear outcropping ridge which has been quarried - the stone was possibly used for the wall that surrounds the base of the knoll. There is a track around the lower south side of the knoll but otherwise no trace of antiquity (either mill or barrow) on this natural feature.  The site is labelled 'Mill Barrow' and shown as a wooded area on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [4,5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 16 April 1998.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 November 1995.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1068340, Extant 22 February 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 8165 4636 (point)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1068340 (Original Monarch entry: 1068340)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11480
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW40
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1068340
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33857
Record last edited
Feb 22 2022 3:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.