MMO1684 - Post-medieval field boundaries around Robber's Bridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Several post-medieval field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks in the fields around Robber's Bridge, including one around the natural feature known as Mill Barrow (see MSO7781). Centred at SS 8161 4624, the boundaries vary in length and orientation, but are uniform in width, ranging from about 1.5 to 2 metres. They are similar in size and form to existing boundaries in the area, such as those at Oareford Farm and were probably laid out at the same time before being subsequently removed to create larger fields. They are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting they were out of use by the time of publication. [1-3] Some of the field boundaries were also transcribed by McDonnell as "banks forming the remains of small fields". [4-6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3087 11-JUL-1946.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #32640 ]
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3036 (April 1947).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/72-49 81/0025 (April 1972).
- <6> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8146A.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8169 4626 (179m by 235m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460874 (Original Monarch entry: 1460874)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW116
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460874
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 9:02AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.