MSO7694 - Medieval churchyard cross, St Mary's Churchyard, Nettlecombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[ST 0569 3775] Cross (NR).  Remains of a 14th Century cross situated in the grounds of Nettlecombe Court and close to the church. It consists of two rechiselled square steps, an octagonal socket with bold broaches of convex outline, and a shaft 9 feet 7 inches in height, the upper part of which, including the transom, is new. (See illustration).  The cross is as described. It is in Nettlecombe churchyard and not in the grounds of the house .  Churchyard Cross, in churchyard 8 metres South of the chancel of the Church of St Mary the Virgin. The cross is constriucted of limestone and was restored in the mid 19th Century, the 14th Century origins are largely obscured by the insensitive 19th Century restoration.  Additional Bibliography.  Scheduled on 5 July 2002.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The building was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 8. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888.
- <2> SSO1792 Monograph: Pooley, C. 1877. Old Stone Crosses of Somerset. P. 116.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 4 May 1965.
- <4> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <5> SEM7229 Monograph: Collinson, J.. 1791 (2006). The History and Antiquities of Somerset. Archive CD Books Ltd. P. 542.
- <6> SMO4073 Index: Scheduled Monument Notification .
- <7> SMO1308 Photograph: REMAINS OF 14TH CENTURY CROSS IN GROUNDS OF NETTLECOMB COURT FROM NORTH. OS65/F66/5. B/W.
- <8> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <10> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0569 3774 (3m by 3m)|
|Civil Parish||NETTLECOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188325 (Original Monarch entry: 188325)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 375/5/30
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10187
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10495
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NE7
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 188325
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15583
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30728
Record last edited
Apr 12 2017 4:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.