Scheduled Monument: Cross in the churchyard of St Mary the Virgin's Church
Department for Culture, Media and Sport
05 July 2002
Date last amended
The monument includes a cross of medieval origin located 8m south of the chancel in the churchyard of Nettlecombe parish church. The remains of the original cross structure comprise a two-stepped square limestone base, of which the sides of the lower step are 2.1m long, an octagonal socket stone 0.5m high with broached corners, and part of an octagonal tapering shaft. The upper part of the shaft and the transom are both mid-19th century additions. St Mary's Church dates from at least the 13th century, and the 14th century cross stands in the graveyard which is believed to have been in use since the medieval period. The cross is Listed Grade II.
Book Reference - Type: SMR - Description: 33834
Book Reference - Author: Pooley, C - Title: Old Crosses of Somerset - Date: 1877 - Page References: 116 - Type: DESC TEXT - Description: Nettlecombe