MSO7675 - World War Two quarry and dump site on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 93915 47438 is a dump of material, comprising brick, concrete, earth and stone. It is presumably associated with World War Two activity on North Hill.  A Second World War quarry is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The quarry covers an area that measures 42 metres long by 38 metres wide. A track extends from the site to Hill Road at SS 9386 4750 (MSO7609). The site was subsequently filled in and is now visible as a dump of material. The quarry was likely used for construction purposes during military training activities (MMO627) on North Hill. [2,3]
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 Feb 1998.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3011-3012 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 163-164 (17 April 1979).
- <4>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #40029 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 93925 47456 (58m by 54m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1124911 (Original Monarch entry: 1124911)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO788
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12641
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW124
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1124911
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35852
Record last edited
Nov 16 2020 1:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.