MSO7607 - Possible medieval or World War Two hollow way on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Between SS 94336 47399 and SS 94552 47493 is a pronounced hollow way. It is 10 metres wide and 0.4 metres deep. It presumably represents an old route along the spine of North Hill, but cannot be equated with tracks shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition mapping of 1889 . Found during field reconnaissance and surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill.[2,3] The hollow way referred to above [1-3] is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The hollow way is centred at SS 9447 4746 extends about 500m from SS 9429 4738 to SS 9471 4761. It is probable that this track was constructed during the Second World War when the area was used for tank training (MMO627). The track is clearly visible on aerial photographs taken in 1946 and appears to have been heavily used. [4,5]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 34(4).
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 November 1997.
- <3> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3010-3011 (11 July 1946).
- <5>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #39995 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 94443 47445 (216m by 94m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102260 (Original Monarch entry: 1102260)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO642
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12436
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW95
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102260
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35636
Record last edited
Nov 25 2020 2:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.